Friday, May 9, 2008








It's Friday night, and this is where I should be.

When I first moved to Dublin I had a gentleman friend who refused to accompany me here because the place had recently been yuppified, and he, like many of us, would only frequent places of low repute.


What he never took time to discover was that the remodeling work was to no avail. The patrons continued, as ever, to be of thoroughly ill repute, and so nothing had changed other than the fittings were now more pleasant to the eye.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here's a video of St Patrick's day at O'Connell's pub in Rennes. My favourite Irish pub :)

O'Connell's

Anonymous said...

Yes, and exactly why the out of country "Quaint Irish Pub" business is so extraordinarily profitable.

But I have to admit that both my local and my club in Savannah had Irish bartenders. One was a serious old IRA guy and the other I run into with regularity in Dublin.

Yes: at the Foggy.

Anonymous said...

O'Connell is a nice pub, but when I was there one waitress was English and the other one Canadian (of the English speaking variety). They both also spoke reasonable French.

The guy who seemed to run the place spoke both languages equally well.

The food was delicious as Miguel and Bianca can verify. And they also served the international Aussie beer "Foster's" (probably bottled in Canada :)

Strangely, few people here drink Foster's lager, it seems we only drink it when overseas.

Also Foster, the founder, was actually an American !!!

A truly international beer!